Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alls Well That Ends Well



Its been a while since I last posted on my blog, and frankly I cannot express in mere words how glad I am to be writing this post, after such a long hiatus.
For all who were aware, and for those who weren't, the reason for my self imposed exile from my blog, was due to the fact that I was studying for a really important medical examination, back home in India. An exam that grants recognition to foreign degrees, and makes us eligible to practice here in India. A license exam if you may call it so.
Now frankly, the exam is quite gruelling by itself, and by no means child's play. It was nevertheless imperative I give the exam, otherwise, without the recognition, a foreign graduate is pretty much stuck in limbo without any official recognition whatsoever.
Ever since I returned to India, there has been no other thought more paramount in my mind than to clear the examination as soon as possible. Especially after hearing horror stories, of those who kept trying and trying for years without success, and finally losing nearly three to four years, or perhaps even more of their precious time, and eventually jeopardizing their medical career.
On another front, most of my friends opted to join what are known as "coaching classes", to clear the exam. Its a common practice here in India, whereas au contraire I chose not to.
My friends were flabbergasted, and were quite curt in telling me that without those "miraculous" classes I stood little chance of passing. I have always found it so, that in life a lot of people are more prompt in telling you what you cannot do, rather than what you can do.
Nevertheless, undeterred, and not falling prey to the hype the classes generate, I chose to remain home and study for the exam by myself.
Besides, I have always been the sort of person that seldom pays attention in class anyway. I was always busy doodling while the professor went on an on rendering his rather insipid lecture.
Needless, to say I sacrificed a great deal while studying. I missed writing, painting, and frankly it has been over a year since I ventured into a movie theatre.
And all through, I had this morbid dread so as to whether or not my efforts would bear fruit, and whether or not my friends prediction of a certain doom, that awaited those who chose not to attend classes would come true.
For if I did not clear this time, I could see myself spiralling into gloom, and possibly towards a realm of self pity and bitter remorse. From which I doubt I would have ever been able to recover the strength to fight the battle yet again.
But by the grace of good fortune, and Divine intervention, I managed to clear the exam with flying colours, being amongst the 20% of the students who passed altogether.
It was while travelling back to the airport that I realised in disbelief, while checking the results of the exam online on my cell phone, that I had cleared the exam, and was now free.
Emotions of relief, gratification and happiness beyond words came flooding back, and while through all this I realised I was rather hungry, and ordered myself a scrumptious breakfast in the airport lobby, awaiting my flight back home.
And while munching on my baked beans on toast came the flood of congratulatory phone calls from my near and dear ones. All glad that we had passed one of the most dreaded exams ever.
What awaits me now is a three month break, during which I intend to selfishly indulge myself in all that I missed during the long hours pouring over medical literature. After which shall begin my internship in a hospital nearby.
The moral of the story is, that it takes great perseverance in trudging along a path most humans would rather avoid. And when someone usually dissuades you from perusing the path you choose, its not that they are concerned about you, but the fact that they wish to trust upon their own personal insecurity upon you.
Besides, the exam has had a more profound personal victory rather than just an academic one.
The personal victory being the fact that if I could pull this through, there's precious little that can stand in my way in the future.
The same lesson goes for everyone else as well.
Never let fellow humans tell you what you can or cannot do. Insecure beings can never support one another. Their refuge lies in mutual despair.
The day you begin to have faith in yourself and the path you have chosen, would be the day you will most certainly be declared a victor.
For only after trudging relentlessly through the road less travelled, one can truly say,
Alls well that ends well.

22 comments:

brocasarea said...

congrats Dr.Vyazz!!:)

wht now? pg?1..

me joining one pg tuitions..just weekend classes!...yeah only hardwork can take u there!!...

party time!!

Shadowthorne @ Ramzu Zahini said...

First; Welcome back!
Secondly; I am glad that you chose to be different by following your instinct. Those who swims against the flow are indeed hard material!
Third; Congratulations! :) The victory is indeed sweeter when you can prove everybody (in the classes you mentioned) wrong.
Fourth; Good luck with your internship :)

Yay for Vyazz!

Choco said...

Congratulations and Welcome back!!!
I am so very happy for you.

There is a certain honest and inspiring quality about your writing that is so rare.

Have fun with your break. Yeah. Like you need me to say so! :D

Varsh said...

Congratulations!!!

Your determination, hard work and perseverance paid off!

Do enjoy the three months you have to the fullest, and blog a lot more frequently now! :)

Lazy Pineapple said...

Congratulations Vyazz :) I am really Happy for u.

What you said is so true....most people are afraid to walk on the road less travelled and they instill the same fear in you. Rather than giving hope and encouragement it is the other way around.

So Dr. Vyazz when are we getting a treat ?

sammythewizzy said...

Congrats doc!! :D

Very gutsy call you took there - abt not joining any coaching institute.. I know how hard it is not to join one in India, given the insane amount of competition existing in every field..

Welcome back to the blogosphere :)

Vyazz said...

@Brocasarea: Thnx man!!...Umm...from what I hear they just give us a provisional registration, rather than a permanent one!!
So I have like a year of internship ahead of me, after which, yeah I guess I'll be heading for PG exams!!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Shadowthrone: Thnx a lot man!!..yeah victory is indeed sweeter when you can prove wrong those very people who wrote you off!!! :)
Right now basking in the glory of success!!!! :D

Vyazz said...

@Choco: Thnx...appreciate it!!! And what's the deal with ur blog??...about the visitation rights I mean??? still under maintenance?? :(

Vyazz said...

@Varsh: Thnx....I completely intend to do just that!!!...Relax and chill, download movies and breeze through the Indian summer!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Lazy Pineapple: Thnx a lot!!!! :D
As for the treat.....hopefully it ought to be in the form of more consistent write ups from my side!!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Sammy: Thnx man!! Yeah truth be told, even I was initially unsure of whether I had chosen wisely, but as they all say...the ends justify the means!!!
I guess it worked out just the way I wanted it to!!! :)

Surya Kannan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Choco said...

@Vyazz
I have taken a breather from blogging...Don't know for how long...But still can't keep myself away from reading -Books, Good Blogs and anything else that appeals... :)

Gayathri said...

1)CONGRATS!!!!
2)Me too!Me too!! :D.. even i dont believe in the aspect of attending coaching classes just to clear a hurdle..it's the self confidence and effort that matter.. and neither do i promptly listen in the class and take down notes..not my cup of tea..i rather prefer studying myself,making my own inferences!!
3)Couldn't agree more on the fact that people are more keen about showering their own negativity upon u than pushing at least a ml of positive energy!

Kudos to you!!

PS:I'd been out of blogging for a while..and whensoever i found time,i didn find any of ur updates either..so i'm here,knocking at the door of your blogosphere after a very long time.. Welcome me with a hot coffee :D!

Thousif Raza said...

dude i am glad, that u passed, i never had a doubt, you are committed to something for the greater good, and that's why you have excelled... congrats mate.... and first jake movie dekho.... love sex or dhoka.... ;)

its great to cu back yaar... looking forward to some awesome memories, and great posts.....


take care and keep writing..........

brocasarea said...

where internship?!..it will be a kickass..enjoy:D

Vyazz said...

@Choco: Good to feel ur presence in the blogosphere at least!! Ur alwayz welcome!!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Gayathri: Hey....nice to know u think likewise!! And welcome back...great to hear from you again!!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Thousif: Thnx for the faith man!!
Great to hear from you too!!! Hopefully will try to hang on this time!!! :D

Vyazz said...

@Brocasarea: Intership's gonna begin in three months..after we get our registration!!
Need ur advice on the whole internship scene!! :)

brocasarea said...

start prep for pg..work and study..thats it;)