Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Bloggers Void



One of the things most bloggers face in the due course of their blogging history is the bloggers void. Aptly put by Shadowthrone.
The thing is, no matter how much ever dedicated we are to blogging, after some time or the other, you lose the ability to stay focussed on your blog. It could be due to a number of reasons. Like for instance, the lack of inspiration, the lack of sheer will, an unforeseen circumstance etcetera.
Even I for instance find it really difficult to maintain my blog since I graduated.
The thing is, things were a lot different from the world I once belonged to, and the world I'm currently in.
While those who believe in sheer will, would argue, nothing should "ideally" come between a man and his passion. But as I have often stated, circumstances are seldom "ideal".
While I do not write this as a means to justify or complain about the reason for my absence from the bloggosphere, I nevertheless, feel it necessary to elaborate on my persistent absence.
The thing is, things were a lot different back in Petersburg. I wouldn't say I had all the time in the world, but nevertheless, I could always do whatever I want, whenever I want.
I would write, whenever impulse would strike me, be it 12 noon or 3 in the morning.
The thing about impulse, is that its like a spark that comes and goes. You cannot schedule or postpone an impulse for later.
The thought you have today, may not remain the same tomorrow.
And that's the main difference.
Right now, while studying for a major examination, my life is far more scheduled than it was before. I'm not complaining though, because, I have been reunited with family after a span of six long years.
But the thing is, there is always going to be a difference between a single students life and the life of a family guy. Things cannot always be carefree, and I most certainly cannot blog on impulse here.
Now I could say, that I would schedule time to blog every Sunday from 8 to 9 pm.
But it can never work out that way.
At least not for me. Like I said, I cannot schedule thoughts. For instance, say I'm reading the newspaper and I come across an interesting article, and I say to myself "I really ought to voice my opinion on this article", but then I cannot because I have to hit the gym, after which I have to start studying, following which by the end of the day, when I am actually free, so to speak, I no longer am able recapitulate the idea I had back in the morning. Even now as I write this, I'm actually supposed to be solving questions in Pharmacology. Not exactly writing this on my "free time" here.

There hasn't been one day that went by where I haven't thought, "damn!! I really miss writing."
But then again, there's precious little I can do about it.
All I can say right now, is that I will try to keep things afloat to the best of my ability.
But I cannot promise anything more.
Besides, a lot of people from my own blogging network seemed to have permanently dropped off the bloggosphere, without any explanation.
I really envy persistent bloggers, people who have continued to blog come what may, like brocasarea, Shadowthrone, Thousif, and Lazy Pineapple to name a few.
Most bloggers end up in the void sooner or later, while others manage to stick through with persistence.
But every individual has his/her own means of working.
Like I said, there are like a ton of things I would love to do, right from blogging, adopting a dog, to learning how to make a pizza.
But then again, given the circumstance, such things must wait...
No idea how much longer is it going to take......
but until then,
be patient and bear with my inconsistencies, s'il vous plait...
till I manage to figure things out.....

15 comments:

Shadowthorne said...

I feel you, dude.

Once upon a time I had a wonderful blog at Anotherdayindoomsland.blogspot.com. It was pretty, and very much amusing for many readers.

Then suddenly I stopped blogging because... I had it, and I didn't get enough attention (a.k.a. readers). And I deleted the blog after a farewell last entry for my readers....

Several months later, I felt like slapping myself. I love writing. So what the Hell? I write to amuse myself and improving my English. So why must I care how many people visited my blog?

It all comes down to this... Do the things you enjoy, at any time you are free to do it. You don't have to make a schedule for blogging :)

I've known people who returned from the Void, so ashamed that they created NEW BLOGS so others wont notice after their long absence.

And Happy Belated New Year To You Too! :)

Thousif Raza said...

well man lemme tell you honestly.... i was also at some point like that, but some chamatkar happened and i started looking at the smallest thing that made me happy.... then my life seemed so full of happines, and thats what i recollect every time....


you write good and i would love to read everytime you write... so good luck expect you soon....

have a mast, rockful, and eventful new year ahead

take care and keep writing.........

Lazy Pineapple said...

Hey Vyazz, This void has hit me too....sometime back. I have now started carrying a notebook in which I pen thoughts as they come. I know what you mean when u say that once a thought is lost you just cannot bring it back. The notebook comes handy.

Don't stress out. Just blog when you can. Its a passion and not a compulsion. When you have more time in the future, do come back to your hobby. All the best.

ANDAMAN & NICOBAR THE HISTORIC INDIAN CORAL ISLANDS said...

I liked the way Shadowthorne has commented above about why and how one should blog, dear Vyas!

A hobby a day, keeps the doldrums away! The bottomline is - the best are the bloggers who blog their heart out spontaneously and not just because of the compulsion of having to update their blogs.

So, it's always a good idea to make a quick note of the gist of thoughts that spring up in your mind and chalk out an hour or so, may be on weekends, to write down your post and publish it on your blog. It's after all, like maintaining a diary with purpose.

It felt pretty warm to read your candid post, dear Vyas; so do make time and keep blogging. Cheers to you! :))

SHRINATH VASHISHTHA
Port Blair.
Andaman & Nicobar Islands (India).

Vyazz said...

@Shadowthrone: Thnx man!!....'course its about doing things that make you happy once in a while!!
Newayz....like I said...I'm right now just walking the tight rope here doing the balancing act!!...trying to achieve a harmony between my passions and my commitments. :)

Vyazz said...

@Thousif: Hmmm...wat u say is true.....truth be told..I never thought of writing as a passion till I started blogging.
Guess sometimes in life you need to find loopholes to fit in ur passions with ur overbearing schedules!!
Hope I manage to find that chamatkar meself!! :)

Vyazz said...

@Lazy Pineapple: Hmm....never thought of carrying a notebook around...but seems like an interesting approach!!
But nevertheless, like I said.....just going through a phase right now......hope it'll be over soon!!

Vyazz said...

@Srinath: True....its indeed like maintaining a diary....but right now like I said...going through a phase trying to sort things out both commitment wise and passion wise.....will work something out to balance the both!! :)

brocasarea said...

hey its ok...first comes studies[work]!!..

anyways keep fbing....good luck:)

vaniquest said...

yeh, take it easy. It happens. This too shall pass.

et said...

:) I understands!
There is hardly any blogger who hasn't really experienced this sort of a void.
Life in all its reality, comes first. Things change. You can delete a blog, you can come back to a blog.
In the end, only your happiness matters!

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Agree with your points overall.

So far I've been able to stay focused on my blog since 4 years. Hope I'll be able to continue that way..

Choco said...

So true..So true...The things I have tried to stick to blogging..Err...typing out my thoughts.
But on a different note, wish you the very best in life Vyazz.
As long as you find the time to post some thoughts every now and then and let the blog breathe and live, we will be happy! :)

Varsh said...

Hi...I liked your blog...me from Aurangabad too...you write very well...it'll be our loss if you don't keep up with us....do it in your free time.. :)

sammythewizzy said...

Ive just managed to come out of a bloggers block!!