Friday, July 3, 2009

An Ode To A City


I usually do not write much about myself, but nevertheless, the past few days have been quite a milestone in my life. For I have finally graduated. And hold the degree, Doctor of Medicine. I never thought the day would come. For it always seemed so distant. And as a consequence, I have forever remained in the illusion that time shall forever remain still, and I shall be a carefree student in one of the most beautiful cities in the world forever. But I suppose as we all know, time is one stealthy entity.
It manages to delude you till the end of days, and when you least expect it, the carefree days of your youth are curtailed in one sharp stroke. Like the swift blade of the guillotine, your time as a youth are struck off, and immediately one is thrust unprepared, into the realm of adulthood.
The emotions that ravage my mind like a wayward ship stuck in a tempest, have me at extreme ends of human emotion.
One one hand, there is the joy of graduation, the happiness and the jubilation, while on the other hand there lies the bitter sorrow and anguish of parting forever with ones close friends, who have been by my side for the past six years.
Perhaps a third person observer may not be able to comprehend what exactly I am going through, and frankly I cannot expect him/her to understand the pathos when one leaves the place he has been so well accustomed to.
I owe a great deal to this fair city. One can always be proud of their home city, but this city has been somewhat like a surrogate parent to me for the past six years. St.Petersburg is a marvellous city. Mere words cannot describe it. For, of all the places in the world, this is one of the few places, that has stayed back in time, retaining its beautiful palaces, museums, gardens and streets. It doesn't have the snooty air of the common metropolitan cities across the world which are towering with concrete skyscrapers and awfully polluted streets.

Even now the city retains its historic charm from the times of the Tsar, like a time capsule which has not succumbed to the sort of riff-raff the modern cities today possess.
I have been very fortunate indeed to live and study in this city.
From the pristine and pure white snowy cover of winter to the bright, white nights of summer (when sun doesn't completely set) the city retains its magnificent glory, throughout the year.
The photos posted here have been taken by yours truly, and his friends, while touring the city and during our nocturnal boat ride on the day of our graduation.
The city is best explored when one walks down its streets. Its not the sort of place that can be relished when one is in a noisy motor vehicle. One has to walk down its streets to get an actual idea of the city. Passing by numerous portrait makers, souvenir stalls, etc.


Moreover, like Venice, this city too is interconnected by numerous canals, through which one can see the architectural magnificence of the place.


Words truly cannot do justice nor describe this place. One has to actually come by here and walk about the place. Besides every street is so spectacular, your camera wont have a moments relief.
Walking the city for the past six years has made more familiar with this it. I know the roads, byways and alleys of this city by now, far better than my home city back in India.
This is one place I sincerely recommend everyone to visit at least once in their life time. And moreover at least spend a week here to absorb the beauty and feel the romance of a city preserved in time, through the ages.


It has been six years since I came here, as a scared, shy 18 year old, and now when it is finally time for me to leave this city for good, my home for the past few years, I am indeed at a loss for words. The city, my close friends shall all soon be left behind, and my stay here will be nothing more than a memory. Though many may philosophically put it, "It happens, life's like that", I do not think that those so called philosophers can possibly comprehend what I am going through right now.
And I do not expect them to understand either.

Dasvidanya, fair city. For perhaps our paths shall cross once again. But till then I bid thee a fond farewell.
For you shall be in my heart forever.

34 comments:

pawan said...

Ved Vyas!.
Stunning Blog.
I am still dazzled by the pictures, and the picture with girl whose portrait is being drawn is simply superb!
I will go through all your other posts and leave suitable comments too!

Btw, congrats for graduating out of college, hope you become a famous doctor!

Lazy Pineapple said...

lovely post...you are a wonderful writer and express your thoughts so well. Congratulations on your graduation :) and a great future ahead. I loved the pictures.

ramya said...

A very beautiful post! You are lacking words? These many words were enough to fill my heart! It indeed is a beautiful place!
Hope you do well in future! And congrats Graduate ji! ;-)

Gayathri said...

congrats on ur graduation..
The pics were awesome,never thought u were the one who clicked..
and yeah,although not this intense,i'm on my way to bid farewell too,to all the wonderful things in my life,hometown,frnds,for job..and i understand how u feel right now..

Choco said...

Congratulations Vyazz
I almost didn't want to comment on this post. It seemed so personal and nostalgic...Straight from the heart...One of the best posts I have read....The pics were stunning!

All the best for your future...

Shadowthorne said...

Doctor of Medicine... now less dilly dally and show those people what Russia had turn you into - Super Doctor!!

Anyway, I HATE you because you must remind me about St Petersburg, one of the places I cannot visit, ever. :(

And these pictures are beautiful. Take your children there when you are a big shot doctor soon. lol

Deepika Gupta said...

Beautiful pictures.... And beautifully described emotions... i can truly sense what u r going through...
Wish you good luck for future...

Deepika Gupta said...

Beautiful pictures.... And beautifully described emotions... i can truly sense what u r going through...
Wish you good luck for future...

brocasarea said...

wow...congrats...!!:)

so wht plans next???...

ARJuna said...

I have started following your blog pretty recently. I must say your writing is beautiful.

Also, I know what you are going through. I bid farewell to another city in another country when I had just entered my teens. I still remember the days I spent there sometimes and I long to return there one day.

rads said...

CONGRATS! on your graduation..6 yrs is indeed a very long time...I've been staying in Chicago for almost a yr now and feel I'll miss it very badly when I leave next yr...True these feelings cannot be expressed...hope you have a bright future ahead...all the best

Kaddu said...

Congrats doc! ;-)

So when r u coming back? Sure wud feel awful leaving such a beautiful place behind... after a glorious relationship of 6 long years! Sighhhhh! I'm already missing it... & I haven't even been thr! Only seen the pics u hv posted up here! :(

Thousif Raza M.B said...

its sad when we have to leave frenz who just become a part of ourselves after living with them for so many years, ask me when i left coll, there were just tears in my eyes and i am still sad


the photos were marvellous, ved, i think i gotta learn with you how to take such photos, they are great, and the write up was just icing on the cake, thx for taking me along the memory lane yaar......

and a huge huge huge congrats on being a doctor, take good care of your future patients ok :)

take care and keep writing......

rads said...

Hey you have been awarded the International Bloggers' Community Award by me :)...chk my blog for the rules to pass it on to other deserving bloggers.

Punk Princess said...

Amazing pictures and even better commentary to go along with it. :)

Sindhu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sindhu said...

Beautiful description and nice clicks of St. Petersburg :) And the part My stay here will be nothing more than a memory was the best part of the post, I would say!! True!! Life has to go on! But you can always carry your memories with you - always :) Btw, Congrats doc :)

Vyazz said...

@Pawan: Welcome to my blog. Thnx 4 the wishes, and the pic of the girl being drawn was taken by me. :)
Newayz, thnx again!!

Vyazz said...

@Lazy Pineapple: Thnx 4 the wishes...much obliged!!!

Vyazz said...

@Ramya: Thnx......appreciate it!!

Vyazz said...

@Gayathri: Thnx.....guess we can empathize with one another in that respect, and yeah it indeed is a picturesque city.

Vyazz said...

Choco: THnx......much obliged...wuz indeed nostalgic when I look back on six years that I spent there...

Vyazz said...

@Shadowthrone: Thnx.....will definately visit the plce one again somewhere in the future....lets see....a new chapter begins in my life till then...

Vyazz said...

@Deepika: Thnx......wuz a trifle melancholy wen I wrote that!!

Vyazz said...

@Brocasarea: Thnx...I have to clear the MCI exam, after a couple of months, so I can begin my Indian internship....Looong way to go.....

Vyazz said...

@Arjuna: welcome to my blog.....
yeah...I guess it an be upsetting when you forever leave a place that you are so used to.....I guess parting is the sort of phase all of us must undergo at some or the other period of our lives.....

Vyazz said...

@Rads: Thnx a bunch!!..
Btw I thought ur permanently settled in Chicago...so ur gonna move to another city??

Vyazz said...

@Kaddu: Thnx...and I really wuz upset while leaving...btw..back in India now....feels good to be home, while at the same time I am missing my friends back there Bigtime!!

Vyazz said...

@Thousif: Thnx....some of the phots were taken by my friends too...I'm telling u, the city is so beautiful, even an armature photographer can click masterpieces.
Glad you liked the post, always a pleasure to write 4 such an audience...

Vyazz said...

@Punk Princess: Thnx...appreciate it....

Vyazz said...

@Sindhu: Thnx...ur right...life does go one....but we as humans tend to dwell in past memories, for sometimes it becomes hard to let go...but I guess, as they all say...that's life.....

varghese said...

Really a great post, and i can totally empathise with the emotional state of mind that ur in rite nw..it happend to me too after my coll got over...n its the hardest feeling to get over....all the best for ur future...

Nitin said...

hey vyas the pic u uploaded r awesome.....)))
by the way nice photography....)))
just after long time i remembered about ur blog.....so thought to check it out......and guess what i saw...))))u got it right...
dude really missing russia....

Harsha Chittar said...

Hi
My first visit to your blog and I have to say it was an excellent read. I think the last paragraph of this post will remain with me for a long time :)